PETUNIA MAFIA GROUP RIDES DURING COVID-19
Petunia Mafia has crafted the team policy below for restarting team-led rides. In light of USA Cycling’s return-to-riding guidelines, local health ordinances, and the actions of other local sporting groups, the Board and a panel of medical experts believe we can return to group rides with a reasonable level of confidence with the following plan. This policy is in place until further notice, and can be amended as the COVID-19 scenario unfolds. Documents that informed our decisions can be found in the links below:
We’re approaching this with an abundance of caution, taking care to use reputable sources for guidance. Our group numbers are lower than is allowed by government ordinances by design; Safer-at-Home allows for 25 participants outdoors. We endeavor to reduce the risk of infection as much as possible. Even so, there is no risk-free scenario.
Furthermore, we’ve all witnessed the polarization of individual’s responses to the virus. It’s crucial for the culture of our team that everyone acts and communicates with respect to each other and our communities. Individuals have to recognize where they are on the comfort spectrum and act accordingly. For example, if you’ll be extremely anxious if a teammate’s face covering slips below their nose or tends to infringe the 6 foot distancing rule, you are not a good candidate to resume group rides. We will gently remind teammates of the rules but human behaviors tend to be imperfect.
- Determine your own comfort level in regard to participating in rides or events.
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 or believe/know you have been in contact with an infected person, do not attend team events or rides.
- If you or someone in your household is at risk of severe illness from COVID-19, do not attend team rides or events.
- Maintain a 6 foot distance between riders. Try for spacing greater than 6 feet from those who are positioned in front of you. No paceline or tight peloton formations are allowed.
- You must have a face covering with you and available at all times. You must wear it at trailheads, when passing others on the road or trail, or within 6 feet of distance of others.
- No nose blowing nor spitting within 20 feet of the group.
- Only Petunia members are allowed on rides, no guests.
- Teammates must RSVP “Yes” on TeamSnap so leaders can manage the group size. If you can’t make the ride please update your RSVP ASAP.
We advise against:
- Sharing bike tools, food, or beverages
- Riding off-hours to reduce contact with others on trails and roads and to minimize parking lot congestion
- Carrying hand sanitizer along for the ride
- Participation in rides closer to your home
Group size limits:
Road/Gravel: 10 cyclists per group
MTB: 6 cyclists per group
The numbers above are maximum participants per ride group, meaning those who roll-out together at the start. For example if 12 members show up leaders will divide the ride into two separate groups so no roll-out is greater than 10.
If we need to split rides into multiple groups we can’t guarantee an official ride leader for each group and they may need to be self-led. Ride leaders are asked to include a GPX map or detailed plan in TeamSnap so all Petunias know the planned route.
PLEASE keep your TeamSnap RSVP current so leaders and teammates can plan accordingly.
Wondering who to reach out to? Meet team leadership here. Be well, ride safely, and enjoy miles of smiles.